This cough and cold syrup is infused with wild ingredients to keep illness at bay. Take a few tablespoons for the duration of illness, or 1 tablespoon a day for prevention
Optional: instead of using dried turkey tails, usnea, or echinacea, add tinctures of these herbs after cooking instead.
- Category: Recipe
- 6 cups water
- 1 inch knob of ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves
- 1 Handful echinacea roots
- 1 Handful rosehips
- 1 Handful usnea lichen
- 1 Handful turkey tail mushrooms
- 1 cup dried blue or black elderberries (2 cups fresh)
- 1 cup honey
- Combine everything except honey and tinctures (if using) in a saucepan. Bring to boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, strain, and allow to cool slightly. Add honey and tinctures (if using)
- Pour into jars and refrigerate for two months. More alcohol/tinctures can be added to increase shelf life, or the syrup can be frozen in ice cube trays.